Bangladesh Adventures

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Business and Personnel Manager Opening at Grace

Business and Personnel Manager

Grace International School serves the ex-patriot community in a civilized and leafy part of Dhaka, Bangladesh. This is an exciting opportunity for a manager to join the leadership team of the school at a key point for its future. We are seeking someone with skills in human relations and financial management. However, we also want a person who enjoys and cares about children, and who would relish the challenge of working in a stimulating city in the developing world. Educational experience is not essential for this position.

We offer a package which enables a comfortable life-style in Bangladesh including pleasant accommodation, health insurance, free annual air-fares home and a supportive community.

Applicants should be committed to the Christian faith basis of the school.

For further details, please e-mail the school principal:

SETTING: Located on three sites in a northern suburb of Dhaka, close to many embassies, etc.

ENROLLMENT: 180 students from Kindergarten through to UK Yr 11 (for IGCSEs)
Approximately 40% of our students are children of Christian mission workers. The remaining 60% are from many and diverse ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds.

SCHOOL CALENDAR – 1st sem: August to December 2nd sem: January to June

CURRICULUM: UK National Curriculum (adapted) ; knowing this curriculum is not needed plus all nationalities may apply. Open to USA citizens, also !

FACULTY & STAFF: 19 expatriate and about 65 Bengali staff supports the school in various capacities.

The school leases its three sites – Preschool, Primary (Elementary) and Secondary (Middle/High) – which are adapted large houses. They have classrooms which accommodate class sizes of 16/18 students and additional specialist rooms – science, art, music, technology – are provided. The sites have good-sized play space but the school hires playing field or swimming pool use (depending on season) to facilitate the physical education aspects of the curriculum.

Financial Breakdown of Raising a Child

The government recently calculated the cost of raising a child from birth to 18 and came up with $160,140.00 for a middle income family. Talk about price shock! That doesn't even touch college tuition.

But $160,140.00 isn't so bad if you break it down. It translates into:

* $8,896.66 a year,
* $741.38 a month,
* $171.08 a week.
* A mere $24.24 a day!
* Just over a dollar an hour.

Still, you might think the best financial advice is; don't have children if you want to be 'rich.' Actually, it is just the opposite.

What do you get for your $160,140.00?

* Naming rights. First, middle, and last!
* Glimpses of God every day.
* Giggles under the covers every night.
* More love than your heart can hold.
* Butterfly kisses and Velcro hugs.
* Endless wonder over rocks, ants, clouds, and warm cookies.
* A hand to hold usually covered with jelly or chocolate.
* A partner for blowing bubbles and flying kites.
* Someone to laugh yourself silly with, no matter what the boss said or how your stocks performed that day.

For $160,140.00, you never have to grow up. You get to:

* finger-paint,
* carve pumpkins,
* play hide-and-seek,
* catch lightning bugs,
* never stop believing in Santa Claus.

You have an excuse to:

* keep reading the Adventures of Piglet and Pooh,
* watch Saturday morning cartoons,
* go to Disney movies, and
* wish on stars.

You get to frame rainbows, hearts, and flowers under refrigerator magnets and collect spray painted noodle wreaths for Christmas, hand prints set in clay for Mother's Day, and cards with backward letters for Father's Day.

For a mere $24.24 a day, there is no greater bang for your buck. You get to be a hero just for:

* retrieving a Frisbee off the garage roof,
* taking the training wheels off a bike,
* removing a splinter,
* filling a wading pool,
* coaxing a wad of gum out of bangs, and
* coaching a baseball team that never wins but always gets treated to ice cream regardless.

You get a front row seat in history to witness the:

* First step,
* First word,
* First bra,
* First date,
* First time behind the wheel.

You get to be immortal. You get another branch added to your family tree, and if you're lucky, a long list of limbs in your obituary called grandchildren and great grandchildren. You get an education in psychology, nursing, criminal justice, communications, and human sexuality that no college can match.

In the eyes of a child, you rank right up there under God. You have all the power to heal a boo-boo, scare away the monsters under the bed, patch a broken heart, police a slumber party, ground them forever, and love them without limits, so one day they will, like you, love without counting the cost. That is quite a deal for the price!!!!!!!

Love & enjoy your children & grandchildren & great-grandchildren!!!!!!! It's the best investment you'll ever make!!!!!!!!!