Bangladesh Adventures

Monday, May 26, 2008

Prayers Needed for Jonathan's Health Situation

May 12, 2008 I received the following letter from a good friend of Nita and mine. We went to Graduate School back with him in 1991 and have stayed good friends with him and his wife , Thelma over the years. In fact we visited them as a family in the Philippines where they live in 2003 and I visited again just last December when I was in the Philippines for work. They are a great couple who have gave their life to helping prostitutes get off the streets and out of the bars of Manila; and come to the Lord. Please Pray for the healing of Jonathan's body.

Dearly loved family and friends,

The events of the past 3 weeks have all exploded so quickly for us that we haven’t had the time or energy to deeply absorb them ourselves, let alone sit down and write a letter to share these things with each of you. But now as we know and understand more of what is happening, I want to try to summarize for you what has happened and where we are right now.

Late last month, after about 2 weeks of what felt like annoying muscle pains in my left arm, I went in to the doctor for a checkup after my left shoulder and chest began to feel swollen and sore. During that examination, the doctor and I discovered for the first time a lump under my left arm. A subsequent CT scan revealed a 5cm x 7cm mass under my left arm. A biopsy a few days later showed that this mass is malignant. Further lab tests confirm that this is an aggressive form of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. We are now working with both a medical oncologist, as well as a nutritional oncologist, and they are coordinating together an integrated treatment plan. Last week I already started on some comprehensive natural supplements and therapies to boost my body’s immune system. Probably some time this week I will have my first cycle of chemotherapy.

This has been an emotional roller coaster ride for Thelma and me, going from dark moments to rays of hope back to discouraging reports. Thelma has also had to juggle some new aspects of caring for me at home, alongside of some Samaritana activities and responsibilities, as well as taking care of Katrinka and household. It has been a tremendous challenge, and there have been moments of exhaustion. Both of us cry from a deep place in our souls for Life, that God grant me longer life, and that we enjoy each present moment and each other in every moment of life.

The Lord has been gracious to see us through the initial days of our shock through the love and concern of those of you who have begun to pray, and through friends and family who have come to provide practical help and encouragement to us. The next months will be full of new diets, new routines and rituals, new vulnerabilities, new ways of letting go and depending on others and receiving (even things we don’t like or want). We realize so much more how we NEED people who will pray for us and accompany us through this journey.

Thank you so very much for your friendship, love, prayers and support!

Jonathan, with Thelma

PS. I go later this morning to the hospital for additional tests, and eventually for the first cycle of chemotherapy. Thanks again so much for your prayers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home